Commercial and Industrial Water Softening
Reynolds Culligan provides commercial and industrial water softening solutions throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania. We offer only the highest-quality water treatment services, including deionization, reverse osmosis, de-alkalization, filtration, UV disinfection, and water softening. Our water softening systems are highly versatile and can be used in a wide range of applications to prevent mineral buildup and extend the life of your equipment.
What is a Water Softener?
Water softening is a water purification process that uses ion exchange technology to remove naturally occurring minerals such as calcium and magnesium from water to prevent buildup in pipes and appliances. The process is used often in commercial and industrial settings to facilitate ease-of-use and extend the lifetime of water-handling equipment.
Use of water softeners greatly extends the life of fluid management equipment in a wide range of commercial and industrial applications, including:
- Educational facilities
- Energy and power generation
- Food and beverage processing
- Hotels and lodging facilities
- Manufacturing equipment
The Benefits of Water Softener
Commercial water softeners provide myriad benefits that reduce operating costs and improve overall equipment performance. Untreated water will eventually leave deposits and scaling in pipes and appliances. This can reduce water flow and decrease equipment effectiveness.
Hard water also increases the amount of energy required to operate equipment that uses it and shortens its service life. The calcium in hard water bonds with cleaning agents and soaps, which also reduces the effectiveness of cleaning chemicals. In short, hard water results in higher overall business costs that can be easily avoided through the use of a commercial water softener.
Water softeners offer a range of cost saving benefits, including:
- Extended equipment service life. Water softeners extend the life of appliances, boiler systems, pipes, and other water-handling equipment by reducing damaging mineral buildup.
- Reduced maintenance. Equipment that uses soft water will not require maintenance and repair to remove the buildup of minerals.
- Energy savings. Soft water prevents mineral deposits that restrict water flow, thereby improving equipment efficiency and reducing energy usage.
- Enhanced cleaning efficiency. Softened water significantly reduces the amount of cleaning solution necessary, which reduces cleaning costs, water usage, and energy usage by up to 75%.
How Does a Commercial Water Softener Work?
A water softener removes minerals that exist naturally in water sources through ion exchange. Water is filtered through plastic resin beads coated in sodium molecules, which interact with magnesium, calcium, and other metallic minerals. Since calcium and magnesium ions carry a positive charge, they interact with the negatively charged resin beads.
When the beads interact with the hard minerals, they capture their positive molecules and release sodium into the water. Sodium molecules replace the calcium and magnesium, thereby reducing the mineral content of the water and preventing buildup and interference with cleaning chemicals.
How to Size a Commercial Water Softener
Size is one of the most important considerations when selecting a commercial water softener for your business. The correct water softener will ensure a reliable and efficient flow of softened water without wasting energy. In order to choose the correct size for your needs, your professional water treatment specialist will consider the following factors:
- Flow rate:The speed at which water travels through your facility, especially during peak operation.
- Volume:The amount of water that flows through the facility during peak operation.
- Water composition:The amount of calcium, magnesium, and other hard minerals that exist in the water supply.
- Softening required:The amount of softening material necessary to soften the water, measured in grains per day.
With this information, a seasoned professional can determine the best size water softener for your needs, whether it’s a small business office or a large scale industrial facility. With the right size water softener, you can ensure high-quality water for all of your processes in an efficient and cost-effective fashion.
Exceptional Water Quality From Reynolds Culligan
With more than 70 years of innovation in water treatment systems, Reynolds Culligan is a leading provider of superior water purification services. We are pleased to offer free quotes and water analysis to ensure that you are getting the best system for your needs and we provide the highest level of professional service after the sale. We keep dedicated application engineers on staff to assist our customers with the selection, maintenance, and repair of our water treatment systems.
For more information on our commercial and industrial water softening equipment and services contact us today.