Water Treatment for Energy & Power
Clear, clean water is the key to hydroelectric power generation. Used in boilers, cooling towers, and turbines, clarified water is vital in ensuring the efficient, dependable operation of the system. Meeting peak demand is something that hydroelectric plants do much better than other power generation sources. However, it depends on clean stored water reserves.
Untreated or under-treated water can contribute to erosion and damage to steam generation equipment. Inadequately treated wastewater emissions can violate environmental regulations. With advanced technology, new solutions revolutionize the way water is purified, recycled, and reused for clean, renewable power generation.
Water Treatment for Power Generation Industry
Generating power takes vast amounts of water for use in virtually every step of the process, from boiler feed systems to cooling condensers and bearings to pollutant scrubbers. Clean water is not just important on the intake, but it is equally essential on discharge. Legislation continues to evolve, tightening restrictions and shifting demand toward zero liquid discharge. That means there’s an increase for innovation in water treatment for the power generation industry.
According to trend analysis, water demand will increase by 55% due to the world’s growing population, while demand for electricity will increase by 45 trillion kWh or approximately 44% more than the 2018 level. That presents a dilemma when power plants depend on water for clean energy generation. The answer is advanced technology combined with expertise to find smarter, cleaner ways to preserve and recycle water to meet power requirements for an increasingly connected, electronic world.
There are various systems available for power plant water treatment, such as:
- Pre-treatment: Pretreating the water eliminates any solids, colloidal particles, and organics, as well as minerals like iron and manganese.
- Boiler feedwater: Boiler feedwater is used to minimize the levels of impurities that can damage or impede boiler operations.
- Condensate polishing: Condensate polishing is another method of reducing suspended metals, solids, and other impurities that can cause corrosion, leading to increased downtime.
- Cooling tower blowdown treatment: The result of cooling tower blowdown is reduced corrosion and cleaner discharged water.
- Flue gas desulfurization: Desulfurization removes particles like sulfur oxide, heavy metals, and gypsum from power generation water emissions.
- Recycling and reuse: Recycling and reusing emissions ensure a consistent flow of clean water while reducing discharge and raw water intake.
Reynolds Culligan’s water treatment systems focus on performance, compliance with process and environmental requirements, as well as long-term cost-effectiveness. In this way, we can meet the most demanding standards of quality, safety, and reliability. Some of the applications we offer include:
- Boiler feedwater
- Condensate polishing
- Cooling tower sidestream
- Cooling tower blowdown
- Wastewater treatment
Single-Source, Comprehensive Water Treatment Technology From Reynolds Culligan
Since 1948, Reynolds Culligan has been the only industrial water treatment company offering a single-source, comprehensive water treatment technology platform widely utilized by a variety of industries and applications. Using leading-edge technologies like data logging, telemetry, and remote monitoring, we continuously monitor the performance of our water treatment systems. We provide this data to our customers, so they can use the power of analytics to recognize trends, gain insight, increase consistency and efficiency, and mitigate operating risks.
For more information on our products and services, contact us today.
Check out our Case Study in the energy & power industry of a customer who improved their business with a Reynolds Culligan commercial water treatment!